Welcome to Percy Main Primary School
PMPast Plank

A History of Percy Main Primary School

Screen Shot 2014-10-03 at 09.56.04

The picture above is of the council school, c,1905.[1] 


Following the 1870 Education Act a School Board was elected for the Borough of Tynemouth.  Since there was already a National School at Percy Main, a Board School at the village was not felt to be a priority.  The inhabitants did vote for a new school eventually; it opened on 1 February 1892.  At first, education to Standards I and II only was offered, increased to Standard V from May 1893.  The infants’ school, to the left opened in September 1900.  It was the last constructed by the Tynemouth School Board, before its powers passed to the local authority in 1902.  The school at the corner of St John’s Street and Nelson Terrace was replaced on 28 January 1968 by new buildings closer to Howdon Road.  This is our current school premises.


[1] Around North Shields the Second  Selection compiled by Eric Hollerton (2000 p 31 Tempus Publishing  Ltd)  Picture of old schooll taken from same book


We are immensely proud of our school history, please click on the links below to discover more. 

Read about how our school was first planned from buying the land to the laying of the first Foundation Stone. 
Find out about our school crest and learn about the the Northumberland Kings whose crowns are included on our crest. 
Recognition of the educational professionals who have led our school over the years each bringing their own talents to enhance our school community, 
1892 - 1895 Mixed & Infants. 1895 - 1978 Junior Mixed. 1978 - to date Primary 

History of Headteachers

Headmistress – Mixed & Infants School

1892 – 1893 Miss Caroline Slavers Lindsay Infants

Head Teachers Mixed/Junior/Primary

1893 – 1931 Mr John William Cockburn Mixed
1931 – 1938 Mr Arthur Musgrave Fairley Mixed
1938 – 1958 Mr Edward Davis Mixed/Junior
1958 – 1965 Mr Frederick Fisher Junior
1965 – 1975 Mr William Laidler Junior
1976 – 1978 Mr Robin Watson Gilhespy Junior
1978 – 1983 Mr Robin Watson Gilhespy Primary
1984 – 1984 Miss M Walker
(Acting Head January to April 1984 )
1984 - 1993 Mr Anthony Holt Primary
1993 -  2007 Mr Richard Mark Harrison Primary
2007 – 2017 Mr John Morgan Walsh Primary

Head Teachers – Infants School
In 1895 the Infants department opens as a separate school but
closes in 1978 to merge with  the Junior  School to become the present day Primary School

1895 – 1896 Miss Harriet Aberinna Frater Infants
1896 – 1911 Miss Annie M T Ferrie Infants
1911 – 1916 Miss Edith Dale Infants
1916 – 1930 Miss Elizabeth Cramman Infants
1930 – 1946 Miss Gladys May Morton Infants
1946 – 1950 Miss Jane Eleanor Gertrude Pearce Infants
1950 – 1952 Miss J….. W.R. Lee Infants
1952 – 1953 Miss Catherine A Blair Infants
1953 – 1956 Miss Henrietta B N M Grant Infant
1956 – 1959 Miss Lilian Laverick Infants
1960 – 1976 Miss Audrey Bewick Infants
1976 – 1978 Mrs Olive A….  Higgins Infants

Year Groups
Click to find your childs year group
Percy Main Primary School \nNelson Terrace\nNorth Shields\nTyne & Wear\nNE29 6JA\n\nTel: (0191) 200 6343\n@PercyMainPS
Screen Shot 2016-10-21 at 14.08.57
Arts Council England
Eco-Schools Green Flag
Healthy Schools
Screen Shot 2017-06-17 at 14.47.57
Screen Shot 2017-06-17 at 18.53.48
Screen Shot 2017-06-11 at 16.07.46
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy & Cookies